Sunday, September 7, 2014

Blog Post 3

Providing Meaningful Feedback for Peers
      With the Peer Editing video, I like how they say to start your comments off with a compliment. This is a good way to break ice and lets the recipient know that where they are strong at in their subject. When the video got to 1:18, they began to list several categories that would be good for offering advice on, such as grammar, layout, and topic. It's good that the video lists items such as these as some people may just summarize their personal feelings on a post because they aren't sure what to look for when suggesting changes. The slideshow tutorial is a good tool for teaching peer reviews to students just starting out on the subject and it reiterates many ideas in the Peer Editing video. I do wonder though why both resources would differentiate between suggestions and corrections. Many of the categories have room for overlap and would not corrections be offered with suggestions?
     While watching the Writing Peer Review video, I found it to be very informative with the different ways of how not to peer review. I had not realized there were so many different types of characters who get it wrong. I did like how the video portrayed problems on both sides of the peer review process. From Pushy Paula who can't just let it go to Off-Task Oliver who won't get with the program, the video does a great job of showing the process from the reviewer's and recipient's point of views. I can only hope that when I peer reviewed my classmates in the past and any in the future that I will not be any of the characters in the video. Maybe it has a been a long time for me, but I don't remember ever getting the chance to peer review another classmate's work in the fourth or fifth grade. I do like how it has changed. Teaching students early on how to properly peer edit and cooperate, in addition to what not to do do when editing, will only help them as they go through life.

1 comment:

  1. Good content! Be sure to include links to the resources/videos you are referencing. Also, don't forget that each blog post should have a picture to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete