Sunday, October 12, 2014

Blog Post #8

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture Video

      Where do I even start with this video? We were asked to consider what we can learn about teaching and learning from Randy Pausch's Last Lecture. I think that one of the most important things is the subject of brick walls. Throughout the video Randy Pausch's kept pulling up the concept of brick walls, things in life that get in your way and that are meant to see how badly you want something. If you don't want it bad enough, the wall will turn you way. However, if you want something bad enough then you will find a way past that wall. I find this applicable to learning as I myself find myself running into a brick wall. Even now, I am questioning myself with how bad do I want this degree? I am taking 18 hours of classes and still working a job. I find myself questioning how much stress am I willing to put myself through to get to my goal. And that is where I find the best thing about Randy's concept of brick walls. It's in moments like these when you run into a brick wall that you find out things about yourself. Finding out about yourself and the world around you is what learning is all about. Each moment learning is something new, something different to discover. If you are able to learn about something and find out about yourself at the same time, then I think you've accomplished something truly worth it. And that right there, is what learning and teaching should be about. You should be willing to teach in such a way that students find out about themselves and the world around them so that they have an environment where they can grow as students and as people.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Patrick!
    I can tell that you really liked his concept about the brick walls and applied it to what you are going through right now. I understand your stress completely. I am in a similar situation as you. I think you could have touched on a couple more concepts that he talked about other than the brick walls. I can tell you watched it due to the brick walls because that was a reoccurring concept throughout his lecture. I noticed that there are a couple of errors with punctuation. One spot I noticed could have used a semicolon instead of a comma: "Throughout the video Randy Pausch's kept pulling up the concept of brick walls, things in life that get in your way and that are meant to see how badly you want something." The other spot I saw was in this sentence: "Even now, I am questioning myself with how bad do I want this degree?" This seems to be more of a statement rather than a question. Other than that you did a great job.
    Keep up the good work! And remember to put a picture in your post next time!
    Natalie Thomson

    ReplyDelete